Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Legend of Sleepy Soup

It is late fall. I get off the train and head home. The chilly wind whistles through the trees, tearing the red and yellow leaves from the branches. They flutter to the ground skipping all around me. The wind blows through my light parka, pricking my eyes, nose and ears. I burrow my hands deeper into my pockets, heels clicking on the sidewalk, savoring the wonder of this night as I hurry my way out of it.

I'm on my street. I glance up and a warmth moves through my heart as I spot a small figure in the window. My tabby waits for me, unseeing but hoping, staring out into the darkness. I pull my keys from my case, breathing deeply one last time to savor the nippy, woodsy air.

I put my key in the lock. I'm home. The radiator hums; sending little puffs of hot air through my tiny place. I set my bag down on the kitchen counter, toss my jacket onto a nearby chair and kick off my shoes. My orange tabby rubs her head on my leg in greeting. I reach down and scratch her small head. She purrs. The warmth of my place envelopes my chilled frame as I make my way to the stove to turn on its small light.

My stomach rumbles; empty after a long day. I look out my small kitchen window and see the first flurries start to fall. They swirl through the air; undecided on their final landing spot, but melting slowly when the wind sets them gently down. There is only one answer for this hungry soul on a cold, snowy night.

Chicken Noodle Soup

  • 2 teaspoons butter (5 cents)
  • 1 cup sliced celery (10 cents)
  • 1 cup chopped carrots (8 cents)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions (10 cents)
  • 1 teaspoon thyme (1 cent)
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (1 cent)
  • 8 cups homemade chicken broth* (40 cents)
  • 4 ounces egg noodles (20 cents)
  • 2 cups diced boneless chicken pieces** (95 cents)
Melt butter in large pot. Saute the celery, carrot and onion for 4-5 minutes. Add thyme, poultry seasoning, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add chicken, cover and cook on medium low for 15 minutes. Add noodles and simmer until noodles are to your desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.

Soups on!

Makes approximately 10 servings.

Total cost: 1.90

Total cooking time: 30 minutes

*Store-bought will cost more. I have used bouillon with good results, and while you miss out some on the flavor, it is inexpensive and easy (and still good!)

**Price based on chicken thighs bought at 89 cents a pound. Use whatever you like.


No comments: